Partner of the Month: Elkins TruckingJun 29, 2018 / Posted in Partner of the Month
Our partner of the month for June is Elkins Trucking. We caught up with Brian to chat with him about how the company got started and what keeps them trucking.
- Please tell us a little more about your business.
We run refrigerated trucks. We do produce, but mostly frozen foods. We are running 3 trucks at the moment.
- When did you get started?
I started this company 4 years ago. Been in the business for 35 years.
- What is most challenging about what you do for a living?
Actually driving the trucks is the toughest part. And of course, working with brokers, dealing with cancellations.
- What advice would you give to someone just starting out in this business?
If you’re not 100% committed to the business, don’t do it. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work. You have to be ready to deal with a lot of brokers.
- How do you keep a work-life balance?
I try and get my wife and daughter involved when possible. There is a lot of paperwork, and they help with that. Even on vacation, I’m always connected. I will always have a cellphone on me, and laptop in the hotel room.
- Anything you’d like to add?
I wish they would get rid of ELD’s (electronic logging device) for small carriers!